I can see it's going to be hard to keep this up while on the road. This post will be boring for anyone who isn't already even marginally interested in the subject.
I barely took pictures at GSA, as I was just too busy keeping up with the talks. I spent nearly all the time at the History & Philosophy section. Lots of focus on Lyell, de la Beche, James Hall, Hutton, of course Darwin, and several others, plus Jordan Marche's paper on Hitchcock, the second one he's presented at GSA. No point in going into detail here, but I took good notes.
The main hall had photos of GSA founders, noting whether they were "active" founders, i.e., at the first meeting (only 13 attended it; James Hall was quite old by then and was voted its first president) or "initial council members," referring to meetings a few years earlier that got the process going but didn't actually get off the ground. Charles Hitchcock and James Dana both figured prominently. My picture of Dana failed to download, but here's Charles:
This is the Massachusetts poster for the historical poster exhibit. I was not able to see the one Joe Kopera worked on, unfortunately, although I did try.
I thought Arizona's was graphically the best. Not much text, and a clear image of the changes in mapping over the years that gets its point across succinctly, visually.
Illiteracy nose no boarder's, I guess. Not the GSA's fault, but still:




No comments:
Post a Comment